Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Space Pumpkin artist: NASA Worker's Halloween Tradition

STS-114 Halloween pumpkin carved by Liz Warren.
CREDIT: Liz Warren

Houston, we have a space pumpkin.

Each year NASA worker Liz Warren carves a unique jack-o-lantern to mark a very space-y Halloween for flight controllers at NASA's Johnson Space Center and this year is no different.

Warren describes the motivation behind her gourd-gouging Halloween tradition.

"This year, I carved a Halloween pumpkin of the mission patch for the International Space Station's Expedition 29. I’m proud to report that it’s sitting in Mission Control on the flight director's desk this week."

"The satisfaction I get from transforming a pumpkin into a space mission emblem pumpkin is tremendous. Space exploration is an extremely challenging and stressful endeavour."

"I like to think that my pumpkins bring a moment of levity and a smile to the astronaut crews and the teams that support them."

No comments:

Post a Comment