Tuesday, January 31, 2012

NASA Launches Blast Off! A New Facebook Game


NASA announced yesterday that it’s launched a new game on Facebook, with a goal of testing people’s knowledge about science, the space program, and pop culture.

The game was developed by Scott Hanger, Todd Powell and Jamie Noguchi of NASA’s Internet Services Group.

The game, called Space Race Blast Off is a pretty straightforward, multi-player trivia game. Players choose an avatar, then compete against two other players to see who can get the most points.

Winners earn achievements in the form of badges. The overall goal of the game is to provide more public outreach for NASA.

“Space Race Blastoff opens NASA’s history and research to a wide new audience of people accustomed to using social media,” said David Weaver, NASA’s associate administrator for communications in the press release. “Space experts and novices will learn new things about how exploration continues to impact our world.”

I tried out the game and am actually ashamed to admit it wasn’t until my fourth round playing that I finally beat my competitors. Which got me a Robert Goddard badge – something I’m quite happy about.

Not only am I a big Goddard fan, but I spent most of my time at my alma mater, WPI, at Goddard Hall – the home of the university’s chemistry and biochemistry programs.

If you’re going to play, be warned. The questions are actually pretty tough. Word of advice if you want to give it a shot: learn your astronauts. That’s definitely my weak point.

Make sure you have a good grasp of the periodic table, too. That said, it’s a fun game to play.

You can check out the game for yourself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment